[UK-CONTEST] Antenna height on 70cms

Richard Newstead g3cwi at btconnect.com
Fri Jul 3 12:40:37 PDT 2009

"Does the additional height cancel out the feeder losses or is higher always better?"

Jim

Higher is usually better but not always. I spent a long time analysing these sorts of situations on 2m some years ago
and it all depends on the take-off. My conclusion was that there was an optimum height for each direction - which is
not very helpful! This was for aerials between 2 and 20 metres high (so they were quite close to the ground in terms
of wavelength).

The ARRL's HFTA software is worth playing with although whether the results are "real" and how you might apply them
is not easy to say.

On 70cm you will need to consider the degradation of the RX noise figure as well as the TX losses.

73

Richard
G3CWI