[UK-CONTEST] New CQ WW Category

Clive Whelan clive.whelan at btinternet.com
Fri Jun 12 04:00:09 PDT 2009

Bob

Let me equally avoid any doubt by saying that historically I have found
myself in agreement with the vast majority of what you write, and
paradoxically have sometimes found myself at odds with some of Paul's
views. However in this matter I find myself in clear agreement with Paul.

It is clearly true that there can be no universal definition of amateur
radio, but then that is true of almost anything under the sun. People
get passionate about certain aspects of life, and if I am correct that
all three of us are " of a certain age" then our views of amateur radio
are coloured by it's twentieth century provenance, and are therefore
passionate. My earliest recollections of radio date from the early
fifties when my grandfather showed me his crystal set and let me listen
to some medium wave BC station or other on his S.G. Brown headphones.
Here were signals  coming "out of thin air" using nothing more than a
"cat's whisker" , a coil, and a pair of headphones; I was hooked! My
interest then went into abeyance for a few years while I negotiated the
rocky road of teenage angst, but by 1959 I had discovered amateur radio,
and the rest is history!

By this time I employed the technology of the era, being an R107, a home
brew 6L6 VFO/807 PA  tx., a step change from the cat's whisker ( more
like the dog's b******s really)!  However the point was ( still is)
that  the signals  I was hearing and working  were still coming " out of
thin air"  with no more than  a half sized G5RV  made from some scrap
enamelled wire strung between a couple of old wooden scaffold poles.
Later on my station developed and like you, I used the infamous
electronic keyer, home brewed ca. 1966 (?). Later still I acquired
commercial gear, and eventually succumbed to computer logging, using a
programme written by a certain EI5DI! Huge changes in technology, and
hardly a home brewed piece of gear to be seen in my present shack, but
did I mention?, the signals are till coming out of thin air!

Now let's turn to CQ magazine. They are in the business of selling
magazines, and clearly believe that promoting Xtreme contesting is in
their commercial interests, about which they may well be correct. I
compare this to the current T20 cricket tournament, which is being
talked up by a load of overpaid ( imo) pundits who I suspect actually
abhor the game and don't really believe it is cricket, if the bite marks
on their tongues are any indication. Nothing wrong with any of this, T20
is a bit of fun, but cricket it is not. Equally Xtreme contesting may be
fun to some, but amateur radio it is not.

As the Byrds once sang

"To everything (turn, turn, turn)
There is a season (turn, turn, turn)
And a time for every purpose, under heaven"

You may turn if you wish, this OM's not for turning.

73

Clive
GW3NJW