[UK-CONTEST] Cluster Spot

Frank Hunt zl2br at ihug.co.nz
Wed Jun 17 04:10:36 PDT 2009

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the email, nice to hear from you.

Yes, it certainly can be tough contesting from the S Pacific. No
matter what grade of station you have, it's very difficult to be
competitive with the northern hemisphere stations. There are just not
that many keen VK/ZL contesters around, so I reckon spotting each
other is mutually beneficial. Obviously the more VK/ZL spots that are
posted the more likely the northern hemisphere guys will turn their
beams and attention to us.

Of course when the SFI index improves as hopefully it eventually
will, it will become a whole lot easier to work the Eu's etc. I can
recall just a few years ago that often 20, 15 & even 10m would be
wide open to Eu throughout the night.

Thanks for the compliments re my signal. The set-up here is quite
modest, a TS-2000 with a AL-80B amp. Antennas are a 3el tribander at
40ft, a 40m GP at 20ft plus a 80m dipole. With the SFI like it is at
the moment 40m seems to my best band and the GP out performs all the
other antennas I've tried. I would like to put a 40m yagi and another
mast/tower but just don't have the room!

Okay on NF6V call, sounds familiar, we must have worked quite a few
times. My operating these days is nearly 100% contests, CW and RTTY,
don't bother with SSB. Age here is 67 and been contesting for around
35 years. Since retiring have been able to spend a lot more time
contesting than I did when I was working. Intend playing in the All
Asian CW contest this coming weekend, but am not expecting much
excitement with conditions the way they are.

Okay on the move from W6 to VK3, a big move! We visited our son in
Oregon five years ago and drove a rental from SF up the coastal
highway. Returned the rental 5,000 miles later in Las Vegas. We also
did a drive around trip in 2006 when my son was in Madison, WI and
last year I went to Dayton. My son is moving to back to Oregon in a
couple of months and we planning another trip over there next year.

Good luck with your antenna improvements, look forward to working you
many more times in future contests.

73 Frank ZL2BR/ZM2B