[UK-CONTEST] CQWW - 2008 LOGS NOW ONLINE.

brian coyne g4odv at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Jun 29 00:51:26 PDT 2009

Prior to WWCW last year I 'fessed up' to an appalling score reduction for the 2007 event of aaround 14%, so I am very relieved.this time to see that reduced to more acceptable levels.

I did single band 20mtrs low power, out of total claimed qso's 1178, after dupes, I lost 17 after checking.

9 were incorrectly logged calls. That was my big bugbear last year with the main problem being the 'fat finger' affliction. To help resolve that I adapted an external keyboard to my old laptop which I use for logging. Of the 9 miscopies this time 4 were 'fatfingers' and I missed a dit somewhere for the remainder. Anyway the error rate was down to 0.7%.

The other 8 were 'Not in Log' which was also 0.7%. We can never know reasons in each case for this loss of points, we try to make sure that it is us that the other guy is working but we must accept that a certain number of these busts are going to occur.

My final checked score was 412, 135 after a deduction of almost 25k points 5.7% (ouch).
That final reduction percentage depends very much upon whether any of your 'busts' were mults, I had just one but that did a lot of damage.

Looking forward to the future we try to see what we can do to improve performance, reasons of tiredness, errors by other people make it nigh impossible to get a perfect log in this contest. I can think of only one way right now which will help. That would be, when in S&P mode, to include  the other stn's call as part of the exchange, hopefully he would then correct you if you have 'fatfingered' his c/s.

Only 5 stations logged me incorrectly so obviously I don't have one of those log busting calls, I wonder which stn gets the accolade for that?

If you haven't checked your report already then do it now, the presentation of the analysis is really great this year.

73  Brian 5B4AIZ (C4Z).