[UK-CONTEST] G3WPH - BERU 2009

Mike Chamberlain g3wph at folly.demon.co.uk
Mon Mar 16 05:10:51 PDT 2009

My goal was simply to do better than the previous year - which it looks like
I achieved on QSO count, but not points.

Raw score:

Band      Q/Bonus

80            56/34

40            68/56

20            63/44

15            13/13

10            1/1

Points - 3965

It was frustrating to get  a knock on the door at 1900 on Saturday and the
question "Is Mike Transmitting?"  I've not suffered HF TVI for a long time -
careful negotiation resulted in a forced shut down between 1900 and 2100 and
then after 0900 on Sunday.  Unfortunately the two hours on Saturday are
usually my two most productive hours in the contest.

15m was disappointing with no QSOs to either VE or the Caribbean - it was
the lack of these normally easy multipliers that is responsible for my score
being 125 points down on last year.  I think I worked everything I heard
with the exception of what I believe was a VK station that called.

20m was a little better for me this year - I was using a ground plane
antenna at 30 ft and I didn't seem to have to wait too long in the queues
behind the G stations with beams.  QSOs on this band were about 60% from S&P
- 40% answers to CQs

40m had great openings to VK/ZL which accounted for 30% of my QSOs on this
band - VK7 was extremely strong around 0700 GMT on Sunday.

80m was disappointing to VK/ZL with only 3 stations being worked in each.
The path to VE1, 2 & 3 seemed to stay open all night with a slow trickle of
stations answering CQs.  But they were the only VE areas worked.  The
Caribbean DXpeditioners were strong throughout the night.

Thanks Steve/Quinn for the 10m QSO - and a big thanks to those who travel
and provide the juicy DX that significantly increases the pleasure of this
contest - without you guys I fear for the fate of one of my favourite
contests.  Not to forget those who organise and promote the event.

Equipment:

FT2k with ACOM 1000

Ground plane antenna for 20m and 15m which also provided the 10m QSO

40m end fed wire held aloft with a Helikite (at about 45 degrees with this
year's winds) for 40m and 80m

73 , Mike - G3WPH