[UK-CONTEST] Rotator at foot of mast - any issues?

Chris G3SVL Chris at G3SVL.com
Thu May 28 11:04:34 PDT 2009

At 18:51 28/05/2009, Eddie G0EHV wrote:
>Now I have the chance to use a rotator - Kenpro KR-400.
>I propose putting at the base of the mast. Anyone think of any
>issues with this? Mast is about 15 ft of alloy scaffold tube.
>Biggest antenna load at any time is a 2 Metre 13 ele yagi, plus a
>couple of 23 cms panels plus a couple of 13 cms loop yagi's.
>I also will use a thrust bearing at the guy position.

Eddy,

The issue to think about here is the vertical weight sitting on the
top of the rotator. This will be the sum of the weights of the mast
and any antennas.  I suggest you estimate those weights and look at
the KR-400 spec to make sure its OK. You will need to guy it high up
to avoid lateral loads which would be a killer (i.e. a small movement
at the top will generate a big lateral force at the bottom).

I use a rotator at the bottom of the mast here - but its a bigger
antenna and a bigger rotator.

73 Chris, G3SVL