[UK-CONTEST] Re 1 CW Sending speed

Chris Tran GM3WOJ zl1ct1 at gm7v.com
Thu Nov 26 02:32:17 PST 2009

Hello Andy et al

Sorry Andy but this G8 vs G3 thing is completely irrelevant to the
discussion - in the 160m contest last weekend there were several UK stations
who sounded as if they were keying with their left foot, but it made no
difference to me if they were G3, G8, M5 etc I just wanted to make the QSO.
It's also not helpful to describe operators who choose to operate at higher
speed as 'snobs'. In the CQ WW contest this coming weekend I'm going to be
sending as fast as possible to maintain a high QSO rate, slowing down only
if I think my sending speed will stop stations calling me or lose mults
calling me or make the logged QSO information wrong - this is the norm in CQ
WW and is the way it should be.

I found that an hour here and there over the winter with Morserunner or RUFZ
software helped my copying speed a lot, but a real pile-up is a different
matter - at first stressful but eventually great fun to work. I found the
Wyboston pile-up test the most stressful of all - give me a real pile-up any
day !!

160m sending speed - interesting point about bandwidth vs data rate -
correct me if I'm wrong but 35wpm = 175 letters/min = 525 morse
characters/min = 8.75 Hz therefore it should still be possible to send at
35wpm and it will be within a narrow receive filter bandwidth ?  I am not
advocating that everyone speeds up on 160m, just pointing out that slower is
not necessarily best.

73
Chris   GM3WOJ / ZL1CT