[UK-CONTEST] CQWW CW G3LET

Peter Hobbs peter at tilgate.co.uk
Mon Nov 30 16:23:29 PST 2009

With some unavoidable day commitments, I was thinking about SOSB 160
(incredible last year) until a combination of rain noise early on, poor
160m propagation and decent conditions on 80 led me towards a relaxed
general dabble during some of the night hours, with quick peeks at the
other bands as time allowed.  The comeback on 15 is well under way, but
I never heard anything worth bothering with on 10.  Another (successful)
aim was find 6Y1V on all bands, compare the operation with their
Caribbean competitors and work the young team members who I'd had the
pleasure of meeting on their way out last week.

As Dave BUO has commented, casual operation can be great fun.  Almost
all was S&P and so few of the EU mults were worked, except during a
couple of frenzied runs while attempting to entice stuff off the side of
a major player. Many DX stations, with pretty good signals, never seem
to CQ themselves, probably in fear of getting spotted, which on the LF
bands is often a recipe for disaster.  Several of those who did bite the
bullet had to resort to split on 160 and 80, causing a great deal of
confusion to unfortunate runners who unwittingly found themselves "in
the way".  The pick of the action for me was HC8GR, who never resorted
to this, had a reliable and at times huge 160m signal and was really
easy to work on any band.  The outstanding bands were 15 and 80, which
stayed open until at least 0900.  Around 16 very enjoyable hours.

 BAND   QSO  CQ DXC  DUP   POINTS   AVG
---------------------------------------
  160    90  14  46    6   162     1.80
   80   270  21  71    4   498     1.84
   40   135  24  62    1   256     1.90
   20    51  17  32    0   133     2.61
   15    77  24  40    7   225     2.92
   10     0   0   0          0     -
TOTAL   623 100 251   18  1274     2.04
       TOTAL SCORE : 447,174

Section: SO HP

Only one or two G QSOs, but thanks for those!

73, Peter G3LET