[UK-CONTEST] 21/28mhz RSGB Contest.

Peter Hobbs peter at tilgate.co.uk
Sun Oct 4 14:28:10 PDT 2009

Thanks for the QSO Brian and the hint about 10!  Actually I thought 15
was pretty OK, just not much activity, although somebody - perhaps ZC4LI
- was giving serials over the hundred.  I've decided that this general
empty feeling is largely due to the universal use of the cluster, which
means that people just don't bother to go into the shack for a general
poke round any more.  15 was open to vitually everywhere at some point
during the day, but often sounded dead when you tuned round.  Then -
enter FT5GA with an hour to go, producing instant single-purpose
mega-signals from all points west, at the same time occupying 15kHz of
the band.  Any thoughts on how to kill this thing?

Apart from a few usual suspects and 4Z5AX (who impressively stuck it out
for most of the day), there was very little DX interest in the event and
a good proportion of QSOs were of the "000" variety.  I suspect the only
way to rekindle this will be to offer something better than a
certificate for the leading overseas entrants.

The CQ-P contest going on high up in the CW section of 15 was almost
compatible, giving a serial plus 4 letter location code.  This produced
a good rush of W6/7 late in the day.  Only 9J2BO came through on 10.
Another surprise (for me at least) was the late opening to central EU
which had been lacking earlier on.

So - now to enter the log into SD and find out where 7Z, TO7, E2 and EX
are . . .

73, Peter G3LET

brian coyne wrote:

>Just spent more than 3 hours giving out contacts to the deserving.
>
>Band cndx pretty dire, 10 mtrs never opened to here, but could have been worse.
>
>Bad cndx or not Uk support was dreadful, maybe it's time this contest was ditched. If you are promoting an event and show no enthusiasm for it is it any wonder it creates no interest abroad? It ain't good enough to decide we'll give it a crack when sunspots are back. A couple of hours from all active contest members is needed if any national sponsored contest is to gain, and retain, credibility.
>
>The usual loyal follwers were present on cw but where were the ssb ops? Most I worked on that mode just happened to be on the band and stumbled across guys calling for UK. Slow pace like this would be ideal for training those club members but not a trace of that type of activity.
>
>I didnt hear any committee calls active, if there is no enthusiasm from the top we cannot be surprised at the apathy in the ranks.
>
>I shall not be submitting my log, as a protest at the continued antiquated rule structure which allows only single wire antennas for 100w entries otherwise they are lumped into the 'open' category, but that is a different issue not specifically related to this contest and will bring no more than stifled yawns from committee anyway.
>
>73  Brian 5B4AIZ (C4Z).

Peter Hobbs
Business Area Manager, Communications
Drumgrange Ltd.

Tel: +44 (1932) 581113
Fax: +44 (1932) 569646
email: phobbs at drumgrange.co.uk <mailto:phobbs at drumgrange.co.uk>
www.drumgrange.com <http://www.drumgrange.com>

HQ Office:
The Forum
Hanworth Lane
Surrey  KT16 9JX
United Kingdom

Home Office:
Tel: +44 (1444) 400750
email: peter at tilgate.co.uk <mailto:peter at tilgate.co.uk>

This message has been sent from my Home Office.  It has been scanned
using the latest available Virus Database.  However, as new viruses may
appear at any time, Drumgrange Ltd. does not accept responsibility for
any that may remain.