[UK-CONTEST] 21/28mhz RSGB Contest.

Andy Hewitt andyphewitt at btopenworld.com
Tue Oct 6 03:07:53 PDT 2009

Graham,

I used to take part in this contest as an SWL waaay back in the very early
60s when we had just past the peak of the highest solar cycle recorded. It
those days it was a major event and I used to log all kinds of dx, help by
the sun of course. Now in this solar minimum we are really down in the muck.
Nevertheless it is amazing what dx is out there and can be worked. In the
early days it was a Phone (AM) only event but I don't think adding cw has
done much to make it any more attractive. I have also participated as a
licensed op a few times but found it to be a bit boring. I was otherwise
occupied this year and not available. It does not attract many overseas ops
as it is very poorly publicised.

As far as the contest's future is concerned it think it should either be
scrapped or revamped completely. In the OLD days there was also a 7Mc/s
contest which has already gone. And if this one goes then it would leave the
RSGB without any major HF contest(I know. What about BERU?). BERU
internationally is not a major event as it is restricted to Commonwealth
countries, although of course many non-commonwealth countries do try to get
in.

If this contest is to be revamped why not extend it to all HF bands and then
use the HFCC format, say having one short contest once a month at different
times of the day and on different bands. It could be multi-mode with perhaps
two bands each month, shuffling the pairing around as well. This sort of
mixture would test operators knowledge of propagation and their operating
skills.

73
Andy G3SVD