[UK-CONTEST] RSGB 21/28 MHz Contest

David Cree daveg3tbk at googlemail.com
Tue Oct 6 05:08:20 PDT 2009

Andy, Graham,

This contest had a revamp in 2006, when the previously separate CW and
Phone events were combined.

Unfortunately since then we have been blighted by poor conditions, so we
still don't know how well the new format may be supported given some
decent propagation.

This year I thought (on CW at least) that there were more DX stations
active than in the last few years.

When I have operated in this event from outside the UK I have found much
more activity on CW than on SSB, but this might change given some
sun-spots.

I suggest persevering with the current format at least until we have
experienced a couple of years with reasonable conditions (hopefully not
too much longer to wait!) and then re-considering whether the event is
viable. I don't imagine we will ever get back to the heady days of the
70s, when I recollect working 800+ one year and not making the top
three! Personally I don't see a problem with a Contest where you have to
seek out every QSO rather than running at high rates - but then again I
am an avid supporter of BERU!

I don't think Andy's plan of short "moveable" events would work - I
can't imagine many overseas stations taking the trouble to find out what
bands when. At least having a 12 hour event gives a chance for stations
more or less anywhere to join in for a few hours as propagation to their
Region permits.

I believe several stations worked all Continents (except Antartica) this
year, so it wasn't all doom and gloom. I found about 48 mults on CW -
and know I missed a few, and the Contest certainly encouraged me to
spend much more time searching and making more QSOs than I would
otherwise have done on a Sunday with poor condx.

Dave G3TBK (J88DR for the event last year)