[UK-CONTEST] Fw: 2 contest announcements for you

Paul O'Kane pokane at ei5di.com
Fri Sep 25 01:09:44 PDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Peter Hobbs" <peter at tilgate.co.uk>

> Sounds like a money-making scam to me . . .

You do have to pay to use CQ100, but it's no more
a scam than any other software package that is not
free.

Operating on the internet using CQ100 is a perfectly
valid pursuit for those who are interested.  To me,
it is not amateur radio.  I think it's a sad state
of affairs when radio amateurs (and others) use CQ100
as a substitute for RF, and claim it's a great way to
talk to "fellow" amateurs.  They're right, it is a
great way, but so is Skype.

Given that CQ100 exists, and works, it's no surprise
that internet contests are starting.  If organisers
find that existing contest loggers serve the purpose,
why should I complain?

The fundamental issue, surely, is to agree at what
stage our communications activity becomes something
other than amateur radio?  I believe it's when any
technology other than amateur-band RF is used in
the path between the operators (not the stations)
concerned.

For contesting purposes there is generally a 500-
metre rule to allow for equipment and antennas,
the necessary wired, non-RF, components of a
station.  All that remains is to insist that the
operator(s) be located within the same 500-metre
circle - as is already a requirement in the IOTA
Contest.

73,
Paul EI5DI