[UK-CONTEST] Short Contest Calls -- latest

Chairman, RSGB Contest Committee g3sqx at EdTaylor.org
Fri Apr 2 07:56:23 PDT 2010

Short Contest Calls.

After several more meetings and phone calls, we have persuaded Ofcom
to change their policy on Individual Short Contest Calls.  Please
see below for the previous state of play.

Ofcom have agreed a change to clause (e) of the SCC application
form --
www.ofcom.org.uk/radiocomms/ifi/licensing/classes/amateur/applications/ofw286.pdf
It adds some extra words to the end of the sentence:

"Individual licensees wishing to apply for a special contest call
sign should do so with achievements gained under their own
individual call sign" so it will read:

"Individual licensees wishing to apply for a special contest call
sign should do so with achievements gained under their own
individual call sign, but exceptionally, until 31st December
2010, such applications may include achievements gained
by the licensee as a single-operator using one club Short Contest
Call Sign."

I think this is reasonably self-evident.  It's not perfect, but the
best that can be done, I think, recognising the propensity of the
bureaucracy at Ofcom to micro-manage the whole thing, even though
they know little of contesting.  So, we can use our club SCC efforts
in order to qualify for our own SCC, as long as we apply before the
end of the year.  We can also use CEPT contest entries such as
DL/G9XXX, but can't use non-CEPT calls such as P5XXX.

Amateurs whose application was rejected because they had specified
club SCC entries in their "qualification" section should be able to
reapply.  I'll find out from Ofcom after the Easter break whether
these applicants need to resubmit, or whether their applications
will be automatically reinstated, and report back to the reflector.
The applications had all been numbered when received, so it looks as
though the SCC callsign allocations will be preserved.  From what I
had seen, most of the applicants were getting their first or second
callsign choice anyway, so there shouldn't be too much of a problem.

I'm sorry this has not gone as smoothly as was hoped, but I think
we're back on track now.  Anyone who has questions about applying
and qualifying for a SCC, please contact me off-list, and I'll try
to help.  I'll publicise questions and answers of general interest,
and we'll create a list of FAQs for the Contest Committee web pages.

73,

Ed Taylor, GW3SQX
Chairman, RSGB Contest Committee