[UK-CONTEST] 50MHz 1st contest observations

Steve Jones member at rjtraining.fsnet.co.uk
Mon Apr 12 13:31:51 PDT 2010

Nice to hear that you are active again Alex

Having used 6m as my main band as gm0gei between 88 and end of 91 I can concur that it was difficult to get most people to turn their beams up to the north, except when there was au

Running an 8 ele yagi on 6m then from io73 Anglesey and a 12 ele on 2m between 92 and 09 I also found that I had to run qro on both bands to get any sort of attention and to get people to turn their beams to the west coast. On the more positive side I used to always get a reply or two when running qro on 6m, whereas 2m was really hard work on a flat band despite being able to hear PA beacon.

However in the last five years or so I did notice a big drop in people coming back to me on 6m as most on both bands appeared to have shifted to the fsk wsjt parts of the band and be sitting on on4kst. I joined in for a while and had a bit of fun on 2m and on 6m ms, but the novelty wore off pretty quickly

A job and house move during 2009 finds me at the bottom of a valley in south west Wales, where I have yet to hear any signal on 2m or 6m ! However, a back to basics approach to lf/hf and having neighbours again is in itself a challenge, and there is life on 10m at present even rx on a 40m dipole shoved out of the bedroom window, so I can feel a rejuvenation process starting with a return to the challenge of 10m, and an eventual return to 6m (albeit with a smaller more neighbour friendly antenna system). At least the annual sp es season provides some entertainment from EU on 10m and 6m, even if the rest of the year is quiet.

Once the spots start going again look out for my qrp signal on 6m aurora!

73

Steve GW0GEI in the valley bottom at Lampeter, west Wales

Message Received: Apr 12 2010, 10:06 AM