[UK-CONTEST] QRS and QRP

Dave Sergeant dave at davesergeant.com
Wed Apr 21 22:50:34 PDT 2010

On 21 Apr 2010 at 21:51, Danny Higgins wrote:

> I always slow down if I am called by a QRS station because I want to
> make sure he gets the call and the report correct.  Also, he may come
> back again in the next contest.

So do I. But I don't think that is the problem. The real problem is
that the sort of people Tom is referring to can probably do up to
around 10wpm and have never even had CW QSOs before. Even in the so
called QRS Coral (now reduced to being 'on or around 3650') you rarely
hear people sending below 20wpm. I certainly slow down when calling the
slower stations in this part of the band, but never have to turn the
speed that far down. The 10wpm boys will have a quick scan of the band,
fail to copy anybody, and simply switch off. You will never hear them
calling themselves, they will always be S&P (just as I am most of the
time).

Not sure what the answer is.

> I use QRP for CW and DATA when conditions are good, as 100W to 10W is
> the same as S9+30 to S9+20.  I use a full size 80M dipole up about 40
> feet and in the last CW contest I managed to hold a run frequency for
> over an hour. It helps to have a low noise level to pick up the other
> QRP stations who call.  I'll probably be QRP in tomorrow's data contest
> as I can only run 50W in data modes, so only disadvantaged by 7dB this
> time.

And of course the RSGB insists on calling the 10W section 'QRP'. True
QRPers will be running 5W, another 3dB.

73 Dave G3YMC

http://www.davesergeant.com