[UK-CONTEST] 160 CW

Ray James gm4cxm at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Feb 1 06:50:53 PST 2010

First time effort but not too serious due to family and other commitments which included moon perigee so a little 70cm moonbounce was done on the side.
Top Band has always held a fascination but next to nothing has been done on the band during the last 36 years with VHF+ being the main DX challenge and limited space for an effective 160m antenna.
I'd considered shunt feeding the 60' Versatower but with 2m and 70cm LNA's up there, this was discounted for fear of any potential expensive damage.

I resorted to using an inverted L. Co-ax fed 9:1 Unun transformer mounted at 12' agl and 125' of heavy duty earth wire going up to a pulley mounted on the head unit of the tower before heading off over two neighbours gardens!
Numerous elevated radials were installed but certainly not long enough or plentiful.

TS940 barefoot, un-assisted and 99% S&P produced 166 Q's, 49 Countries and 12 states for 57,096 points. My highlight Q's were Idaho and A7.
No idea if that was good, bad or indifferent but it was enjoyable all the same and that's the main thing.

73 Ray GM4CXM