[UK-CONTEST] Feb 144 UKAC

Rob Harrison robharrison at g8hgn.freeserve.co.uk
Thu Feb 4 08:08:03 PST 2010

Hi all,

Thanks for submitting  posts to the general theme of UKAC.

Looking in my all time log, I've not worked either Colin or David before
which seems strange given your set ups and locations. Hopefully we can make
a contact in the coming sessions.

I'm just north of Basildon, Essex and run an FT-847 barefoot to 2x15 at 13m,
ASL is 60m. No masthead pre-amp. I know Sheffield, my daughter studied at
Sheffield Hallam, nice surrounding area. Hills, well I've one to the NW of
here up to 100m and it's a pain, but from W round to NNE is fine. I also run
the same rig on 432 with 2x21.

As you would expect Wrotham is 59+40, GB3SSS/MCB and ANG are audible at
times via AS, GB3NGI heard probably 3 times in 20 odd years from here. As a
comparison, I can hear HB9HB nearly all the time, although weak, and the 2
French beacons down in Brittany.  I think most of what we call tropo' is
actually AS, as the QSB rates are very variable not like true tropo'. It
would be interesting to have a contest when all the aircraft were grounded
and see how far we got.

No mention of where the new Locator for GB3VHF will be on the website,
presumably in the same JO01DH.

73

Bob G8HGN