[UK-CONTEST] Feb 144 UKAC

David G3YYD g3yyd at btinternet.com
Fri Feb 5 03:42:56 PST 2010

The point being made is Location, Location, Location.

If you are like Bryn G4DEZ on a very nice Hill with flat land almost all
around then VHF range is going to be very good. I assume he moved their
because of its ideal location.

If you are like M0DXF with I assume a hill to the east then even if you
have >> ERP than G4DEZ you will not do as well.

If you live in Scotland with low population count and in a valley with
hills all around - Say no more. Even if you live on a Hill top with
perfect take off, it would still be a struggle to work the population
centres down in the Midlands and the South East, who are beaming at one
another and into the continent. You may run large ERP but you will not
hear the Midlands station with 10 watts to a small antenna at 20 feet in
Scotland but those nearby will.

I live in the South East, near St Albans, IO91TR. I cannot hear stations
that G3MEH can work at 59+. He lives on about the highest place in
Hertfordshire at 210m (about 700ft) ASL. I have very similar station
performance technically to G3MEH but VHF location wise very poor in
comparison at 80m AGL. The rhetorical question is: how can I convince
the XYL it would be a good idea to move to a nice high location with
perfect VHF take off preferably in a salt marsh to help HF band
contesting as well!

David G3YYD