[UK-CONTEST] Wind Turbines

Brian Miller brianmiller at xtra.co.nz
Fri Feb 12 13:31:18 PST 2010

Hi all

The level of noise radiated by a wind turbines is dependent on the
type of technology employed. The turbines in the vicinity of ZL6QH are
Siemens 2.3 MW variable speed machines and each one requires a serious
water cooled power converter to match the variable output to the grid.
It appears that it is the power converter (in the base of the turbine
tower structure) that is the main source of the observed HF noise.

Another wind farm to the north of Wellington (at Palmerston North)
uses fixed speed machines. The level of HF noise recorded at this site
was very low and close to the natural background noise level.

I understand that the variable speed turbine technology is relatively
new. It was chosen for the ZL6QH wind farm because it allows the
turbines to deliver higher output operate over a wider range of wind
speeds, and with less acoustic noise.  Unfortunately, this means that
we are also likely to see more of these (noisy) variable speed
machines deployed in the future.

73, Brian ZL1AZE