[UK-CONTEST] ARRL CW

G3RAU at aol.com G3RAU at aol.com
Tue Feb 23 06:22:12 PST 2010

g3sjj at btinternet.com writes:

I noted  the following were bad - SO4M, YU2A, LZ5R, HG8L, E73W, YT4W,
RX3APM and  the worst YT40W.

Also very bad clix frrom LZ9W, ET4A and  RK4FWX.

If you seriously and deliberately overdrive a large
 linear several things happen.  Firstly its PSU
can't cope and starts to distort the output signal
causing a big increase in hum / ripple, secondly
the output device(s) are no longer linear due to
gross overdrive and so heavily flat top, and thirdly
the mains voltage drops compounding the problem.
  You then have to consider kilowatts of RF
 flowing round the shack getting into everything
including the transceiver.  This in itself can cause
some lovely rough notes.
I think all of that is probably going on in certain
cases. The trick seems to be to reach your
licence power limit in the grid of the PA, never
mind the anode...HI!

Derek G3RAU