[UK-CONTEST] ARRL DX

Steve Wilson, G3VMW steve at g3vmw.demon.co.uk
Thu Feb 25 07:50:41 PST 2010

In message <mailman.24492.1267092928.3373.uk-contest at contesting.com>,

Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2010 07:38:41 -0000
From: "Dennis Andrews, F5VHY" <f5vhy at wanadoo.fr>
Subject: [UK-CONTEST]  ARRL CW

>Out of interest, I also had a look to see if there was evidence that QRQ had helped our leading supporters of this
> mode.
>
>Steve - G3VMW was one of the operators at P3F in a M/2 operation. Their best periods were 66/314. With two
> operators running, I guess it's reasonable to divide these figures by two to arrive at single operator comparisons -
>which gives 33/157.

Dennis,

Your assertion of dividing the P3F M/2 best period by two to give an
indication of individual performance is I think, not quite realistic.
For example, one of the guys could be on 160m or any other band that is
just opening working multipliers, whilst the other could be running full
tilt say on 20m at over 200/hour. This was often the case at P3F.

I think Roger G3SXW's example puts the case very well where he refers to
EF8M running all through the CQWW CW mostly at 42 wpm and making 11,000
QSOs. 229/hour for 48 hours is an amazing performance and can only be
achieved by operating at that sort of CW speed.

At no stage did I say I could achieve those sorts of results, but it is
what I aspire to and what I believe you need to do to actually win these
major contests.

>Gerry - GI0RTN was with M6T where the best periods were 46/215 (actually, the very first hour of the contest).
>Although you can't divide these by 2, if you check the log, it shows that the "run" operator (on 80m) made just
>166 QSOs in the hour.

On 80m that is pretty good going I'd say?

>All very interesting stuff. I remain to be convinced but look forward to seeing either Steve or Gerry appearing above
>my call in any contest results before I'm carted off to the geriatric home!

You do say ANY contest Dennis?

I see from the HFCC Robot covering the last 80m CW CC event (Feb 18)
that we have claimed the following scores:

F5VHY   LOW     96      Three As CG     Thu Feb 18 21:52 2010
G3VMW   LOW     159     Brimham CG      Thu Feb 18 21:50 2010

And yes, I know I have a geographic advantage, but then I don't have the
advantage of your aerial farm.

Steve Wilson, G3VMW
Bramham, Wetherby, West Yorkshire