[UK-CONTEST] OT Where to buy FT240-31 or similar cores in the UK?

Ian White GM3SEK gm3sek at ifwtech.co.uk
Fri Feb 26 07:57:33 PST 2010

Olof Lundberg wrote:

>RS have some very useful Fair-Rite #31 cores in the UK. RS
>are not cheap but they have the goods and they deliver fast
>and efficiently.
>
>They stock (RS Stock No 466-9164) for instance that
>extremely useful big clamp Fair-Rite 0431177081 which you
>can use to make excellent EMC chokes and also baluns on
>existing cables with the connectors already installed.
>
>That clamp looks expensive when you buy it in the US and
>even more so in the UK. When you compare what it does to
>what most ready-made baluns on the market do it looks like a
>bargain though.
>
>They don't seem to stock the "FT240-31" toroids but that big
>clamp can do the same job and better.
>
>Go to http://uk.rs-online.com/web/ and search for Fair-Rite
>and then ferrites. They have a whole range of useful sizes
>incl various big snap-ons in that superb #31 material.

Agreed that the big 0431177081 bead is much better value than the
toroid, but look at the prices. From Mouser in the USA they are £9.19 +
VAT on the www.gb.mouser.com website, delivered free by Fedex for orders
over £50. From RS, £22 + VAT, each!

>I'd fully endorse what Ian said about selection of core
>material in general. Measuring chokes, baluns etc with one
>of those new little VNAs is a real eye-opener!

It certainly is...

--

73 from Ian GM3SEK
http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek