[UK-CONTEST] Warming Up!

Chris Partington c.partington at talktalk.net
Thu Jan 7 12:18:10 PST 2010

Hi all,

I raised this issue April last year!

"I did not enjoy the April CW leg of this contest and gave up

> at 1930, unable

> to find a clear frequency to start a run and S & P was

> proving unsuccessful

> also.

> I thought long and hard about making this post as I do not

> want to upset

> fellow amateurs.

> My view is that the principle of "hogging" a

> frequency prior to the start of

> any contest is not within the spirit of the event,

> certainly not for 30

> minutes!

> I switched on at 1830 and was unable to find a clear

> frequency due to

> stations obtaining signal reports, in many cases not even

> QSOs. This trend

> is increasing due to the lack of space which is unavailable

> during the

> contest period.

> As a /P operator I normally obtain a couple of reports

> after setting up my

> equipment, fixed stations, in general, do not need to check

> their set up,

> certainly not for over half an hour, in my view.

> I would like to ask the Contest Committee to consider a

> "cooling off" period

> 15 minutes prior to the start of the event, where no QSOs

> are allowed by

> Contest Stations, to prevent stations from claiming a

> frequency. This will

> cause some problems at the start but would make it a more

> even playing

> field.

> There is no firm evidence but in previous sections, due to

> the high serial

> numbers received after 1 or 2 minutes,  it is clear that

> some stations maybe

> pre- warning others of their frequency either by using

> other methods of

> communication or being QRV for a considerable period of

> time prior to the

> contest, in a way, generating interest prior to the start.

> As I said earlier, I do not wish to make accusations and

> upset anyone, but I

> think a change is needed.

> 73's,

> Chris G0CLP/P "

The fundamental problem is lack of space, particularly in the SSB legs.

There is no doubt that the best scores are achieved by Operators who find a
frequency prior to the start of the contest and stick to it!

Another suggestion would be to reduce the QRS Corral from 10 to 5 Mhz to
allow more space for "higher speed" CW Operators.

73's,

Chris G0CLP/P