[UK-CONTEST] 'Ethics'

Ken Eastty ken.g3lvp at btinternet.com
Sat Jan 9 09:31:45 PST 2010

> > I would like to ask the Contest Committee to consider a "cooling off"
period
> > 15 minutes prior to the start of the event, where no QSOs are allowed by
>  > Contest Stations, to prevent stations from claiming a frequency.
This will
 >>cause some problems at the start but would make it a more even
playing field.
>  >There is no firm evidence but in previous sections,
> > the high serial numbers received after 1 or 2 minutes,  it is clear that
> > some stations maybe pre- warning others of their frequency either by
using
> > other methods of communication or being QRV for a considerable period of
> >time prior to the contest, in a way, generating interest prior to the
start.
>  >As I said earlier, I do not wish to make accusations and
> >upset anyone, but I think a change is needed.

> > 73's,

> > Chris G0CLP/P "

Chris, I wholeheartedly agree with your comments, however there are
those who might still cheat the
system by 'warming up' using a different callsign whilst still having a
queue of 'mates' lined up to give them
a flying start, examination of the logs might (or might not) be revealing.

There's another issue which I feel needs resolving, this is the status
of entries from 'Contest Groups'.
These groups don't appear to be properly constituted clubs having
neither regular meetings, meeting places
or even a membership outside a small number of people taking part in
contests.
Whilst I have no argument with these groups taking part I believe that
they should be in a separate section to entries from clubs
who fulfil the above criteria, this I feel is something which the
Contest Committee should address for both AFS and NFD.

I would also like to see lists of equipment and antennas used by
entrants in contests published on the RSGB Web results page,
this might be revealing assuming that everyone is prepared to own up to
what amplifier they are using....

I for one am not afraid to make accusations which might upset anyone &
will do so when if I feel the need.

73...

Ken

G3LVP