[UK-CONTEST] Fw: [CQ-Contest] CQ WW CC Update

Roger G3SXW g3sxw at btinternet.com
Mon Jan 18 16:37:39 PST 2010

Dear UK-Contest,
This appeared on the cq-contest reflector today.
73 de Roger/G3SXW.

*CQ WW Update *
*January 18, 2010*

The 2009 CQ WW contests were a great success. This success is largely
because of your participation.  With over 11,800 logs received, the CQ WW
Contest Committee (CQ WW CC) looks forward to the challenge of transforming
these entries into results.  As part of our desire to be as open as
possible, we are contacting you at this time to bring several new topics to
your attention.

1.       The CQ WW CC has appointed Gene, W3ZZ to be its Information
Officer.  Gene will provide regular updates with ongoing bulletins. As in
the past, if an individual contester has a question, he/she can still
contact us via questions at cqww.com.

2.       In recent days, there has been significant discussion regarding the
current activities within the CQ WW CC, particularly as they relate to
combining the SOAB and SOAB Assisted categories. The CQ WW CC considers many
topics. We revisit some issues on a periodic basis. One of those issues is
the use of packet and other technologies which can aid an operator. The CQ
WW CC has indeed been discussing the impact of packet on the SO category.
This should not be surprising to anyone. In fact, most contest sponsors are
doing the same thing; many have already made their decision and combined the
two groups into one.  A very thoughtful and detailed discussion has occurred
on our reflector involving about 35 well known and experienced
contesters.  More
than a week ago, it was clear the direction we were going to take.  We were
going to support the need for a category relying just on human talents.  In
other words, not only do we continue to totally support SO and SOA being
separate, we intend to move towards strengthening the SO category.

3.       The CQ WW CC will continue to implement ways to ensure fair
contesting.  A recent example was the observer program, which ultimately
became another tool that can be used to confirm and effect increased ethical
operating. The impact of this initiative, along with many other recent
actions, resulted in numerous stations stepping up and admitting guilt in a
variety of operating areas. The contest is better off as a result.  It is
only with your help in promoting fair play that we can change long ingrained
behaviors.  We welcome any entrant who changes. Another important subject
being discussed in the CQ WW CC at this time is improved checking
techniques, which are proving to be very effective against the very few “bad
apples” who decide to violate the rules.

Finally, many recent comments made about the CQWW CC's activities are simply
not based on the facts. The reality is that we don't operate in a
smoke-filled room debating substantive issues about contesting in between
sips of Scotch. We are a group of committed contesters that care about the
sport and want to do the right thing. This includes getting your opinion on
the right subjects and at the right time. You always have a means to contact
the CQWW CC via questions at cqww.com with your ideas.

 Cu in the contest!
73, Bob, K3EST
CQ WW Director