[UK-CONTEST] Computer free data contesting

David G3YYD g3yyd at btinternet.com
Fri Jan 22 03:35:05 PST 2010

Stewart

I did notice the CW to RTTY conversion as it did not sound like hunt and
peck typing. G3LET was doing the same. Thank you for the RTTY QSO.

If you need help on setting up N1MM then I can help you on that one as I
am using a K3 and N1MM. Send me an email direct and we can set up a SSB
QSO to talk you through the N1MM configuration.

I did quite a bit of work on PSK31 in the early days with G3PLX and
quickly discovered that is does not cope with multi path and multiple
reflections especially with differing Doppler shifts and times of
arrival. To this end I did RTTY first which has a much greater immunity
to multi-path with Doppler and differential delays. My reasoning being
that later in the contest some of the multiple reflections would go as
the lower layers of the ionosphere "dissolved" as the MUF dropped. I did
not run PSK until 2058 and it seemed to work well at that time. Possibly
should have started PSK running a bit earlier to get a better RTTY/PSK
balance.

David G3YYD