[UK-CONTEST] Gin Poles

MM0BQI MM0BQI at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Jul 6 09:05:17 PDT 2010

Quick follow up on my recent 'gin pole' experiences.
Used two 10m masts at the weekend during NFD and they worked a treat. I
mounted the rotator at the bottom and used two three foot scaf poles joined
in a T as the pivot and mast base,  gin pole was 5m long. Rigging the guys
was easy using a marked line to determine their position.
A useful feature of this method is that you don't need to support the end of
the pole when mounting the antenna (5ele 4/6m and 19ele 70cms beams)  I just
tied off the guy attached to the end of the gin pole at the right height.
Very easy and safe to bring down single handed even with winds gusting over
50mph!
Until I have made my homebrew mobile telescopic mast this is the way for me
from now on, hopefully with no more damaged shoulders!
73 and thanks again for all the great advice on and off the reflector.
Jim,  MM0BQI