[UK-CONTEST] IARU Contest

Ed -- GW3SQX g3sqx at EdTaylor.org
Thu Jul 8 07:24:48 PDT 2010

Dave, G3YMC, wrote:

>  One feature of this year's GR2HQ stations
>  is that they are dotted all around the UK
>  countries - G, GI,GW,GM,GU and possibly
>  others, with on some bands/modes the
>  stations operating from different DXCC
>  countries at different times depending
>  on propagation. How on earth are we to
>  know which DXCC to log for each QSO?

I've been banging on for years about the fact that Special
Event calls (which are used for all sorts of
not-very-special events these days) ought to be optionally
in the format G31ABC, GW25XYZ, GD1975X or similar.  Then
they are both "special" and country specific, although I
don't suppose Ofcom would be impressed.  Whether the
UK HQ stations would want to do this is debatable,
and the logging programs would probably need tweaking
for the contest -- not always easy to arrange.  I'm doubtful
about the GR prefix -- is the novelty factor really that
attractive?

73,

Ed, GW3SQX