[UK-CONTEST] UK Team progress in WRTC

Dave Sergeant dave at davesergeant.com
Sun Jul 11 06:20:08 PDT 2010

On 11 Jul 2010 at 14:07, Ed -- GW3SQX wrote:

> I didn't work all of the WRTC stations by a long chalk, but
> one of the best CW operators was R36K.  Two of the less good
> on CW were R34W and R33Q.  Still, it's hard when you are
> running 100w from a lowish beam, competing with a "kilowatt"
> not too far away with beams up 30m plus.  I agree with Clive
> about CW sending speed -- anything above about 34 wpm is
> counter-productive.

Well I only worked R36Y, R36K and R33Q...

I thought conditions were pretty poor, and apart from a short run to W
land on 40m this morning, it was all Eu stuff. All the WRTC stations I
heard were at least consistent in strength - and generally much weaker
than the 'big' stations in UA3 land. They certainly didn't dominate the
band, you had to really go looking for them. Maybe it has given them an
idea of what it is like for us QRP and wet string chaps...

200 QSOs here in around 8 hours of operating, mainly on 40m, 20m and
15m. The thunder static was too high to get any success on 80m and I
don't have my 160m antenna up at the moment. GR2HQ on 80,40,20,15 and
10 CW, 40m being by far the hardest...

73 Dave G3YMC

http://www.davesergeant.com