[UK-CONTEST] WRTC

Andy Cook g4piq at btinternet.com
Wed Jul 14 12:49:00 PDT 2010

Just a quick note to say thank you for all  the good wishes and to those of
you who came on over the weekend to give us and all the other teams points -
it was very much appreciated. I'd have liked to have been able to respond to
the various mails on uk-contest more quickly, but our internet connectivity
has only been sporadic while we've been away.

Firstly, we have to say that we've had a great time doing WRTC this year,
and our Russian hosts have done a fantastic job of organising the event. In
particular, getting 48 identical field-day stations was a tremendous feat
only made possible by a team of 180 volunteers some of whom travelled 5000km
to come from UA9/0 to help out - just amazing commitment from the Russian
contesting community.

It also seems that the on-line experience has been something that those of
you who aren't here in Moscow have enjoyed - being able to see how
everyone's fortunes changed throughout the event and to follow the opening
and closing ceremonies on internet TV.

We really enjoyed the contest and we are pleased to have landed in the top
ten. All our equipment worked faultlessly (which was a relief - it's always
good to spend a load of time preparing your spare equipment and then not
have to use it!) and we had some great pile-ups from time to time.
Propagation was interesting, and it was clear that we didn't have good
conditions to the UK on 15m, indeed, we only managed to catch our G
multiplier (thanks to Peter, G3LET/M5O) in the last hour of the contest in
spite of trying to move several folks from 20m. We'd worked GR2HQ on 15m -
but that didn't count as our G multiplier. We had a super opening over the
pole to all of the USA, but particularly the West Coast around 0200Z on 20m
which we just don't see from the UK.

We had two radios set up with an interlock which ensured that we only had
one transmitted signal at a time, and a triplexer and filters which enabled
us to share the tribander between the two radios (many thanks to Bob, 5B4AGN
for the triplexer design). It was amazing to be able to transmit on 20m into
the antenna, and only hear your 2nd harmonic on the 2nd radio on 10m at S9.
Once when a little tired I even went to try and work our 2nd harmonic! The
triplexer and filters enabled us to interleave QSOs on two bands and was a
key tactic of almost the stations.

So - once again - thanks for all your good wishes and support.

73,

Andy, G4PIQ & Dave, G4BUO  / R37M @ Moscow Airport