[UK-CONTEST] IOTA M6W SO24Mixed LP

Dez Watson dez.zc4dw at virgin.net
Tue Jul 27 00:25:53 PDT 2010

Call: M6W
Operator(s): G0DEZ
Station: G4EHT

Class: Single-Op LP Mixed
QTH: Lichfield, EU-005
Operating Time (hrs): 24

  80:  127      42        5       5
  40:  187      61       58      30
  20:  163      37       48      23
  15:   38      10       14       5
  10:   23       4       13       3
Total:  538     154      138      66  Total Score = 1.1 M

Comments:

Target was my 2008 claimed score of 1.3 M for same category.

Ended up 80 QSOs & 15 mults down on 2008 largely due to worse 10 & 15m
conditions this time.
Didn't hear a peep on the two higher bands until Sunday morning, and
even then it seemed
to be a pipe-line only into Poland with limited opportunity for further
mults.

Talking of mults, I made the elemntary mistake of missing EU-005 on 80
Phone. This was part
laziness as I resonated the Butternut on 80 for the CW section before
darkness, then couldn't
be bothered to trek outside and adjust the 80m coil the following
morning. By the time I realised
I was missing EU-005 the contesters had left 80 and there were only
Sunday morning nets. In retrospect
I could have QSYd a G from 10m but again it meant leaving the rig for
several mintues to re-resonate.

IOTA continues to be an enigma; still not sure I have the right strategy
but it is possible to make
a satisfactory score with a limited station and that's what makes IOTA
fun for me.

That said, I was quite envious of colleague Ken, G4RWD who was 10 mile
away working stuff on his beam
which I couldn't even hear!

Standard of operating seemed exceptional, and the only note I made was
Maltese station with a big
QSO total seemed not to be sending his IOTA ref.

FT-1000MP
Butternut HF9V
Win-Test 3.27

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 5315 (20100726) __________