[UK-CONTEST] 4m Trophy

cris at gm4fam.plus.com cris at gm4fam.plus.com
Wed Jul 28 04:21:42 PDT 2010

100% agree with you Quin.

I have seen various comments regarding the "lottery of Es openings",
"maximising the use of your station for Tropo openings", etc etc.

>From this remote area under normal conditions I will be lucky to hear and
work 3 stations; the nearest regular participant is 150 miles away in mid
GM, next might be a portable in IO94/93 and occasionally a Welsh station
where a good path exists between us.

While I am delighted to hand out points to these 'deserving three' who in
their right mind would consider that an average QSO rate of less than one
per hour is a contest?!

I can see very well that in populated areas normal propagation will put a
lot of QSOs in the log and good luck to them; but from up here no chance!

So, the lottery of Es would indeed add some spice, would certainly give
more remote stations a chance of success, but very probably give those in
populated areas the edge when the dust settles.

73 Cris
GM4FAM