[UK-CONTEST] Small generators for portable stations

Steve Knowles g3ufy at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Jul 30 16:05:57 PDT 2010

Hello Tim

The Addiscombe ARC has used a 2.6kW Tecumseh genset for the best part of ten
years with no problems.  It has the usual (primitive) voltage regulation
system but this has never caused problems.  The waveform is less than
perfect, particularly at low loads, and we have found it necessary to apply
a base load (up to 400W of lightbulbs) to prevent the UPS operating all the
time.  However, with the base load on, the regulation is more than adequate
for all requirements of a normal HF NFD (100W) station.

The major problems (in common with similar Briggs & Stratton powered sets)
are that the fuel tank is very small (less than 4 hours capacity, although
this can easily be remedied by using an outboard tank from a motorcycle or
similar) and that the engine is splash lubricated - the sump capacity is
very small and the oil needs topping up every 8 - 12 hours, necessitating an
engine stop (hence the UPS).

We have tried smaller generators (<2kVA) but find that, although
satisfactory on a steady load, they have trouble coping with a rapidly
changing load and do not have the capacity to be adequately base-loaded
while still handling the station.

I tend to concur with Ken, G3LVP, that you will probably do best if you can
base your operation on a 12V battery-buffered supply, in which case a truly
rubbish generator will do you FB!

73

Steve
G3UFY