[UK-CONTEST] Commonwealth Contest 2010

Clive Whelan clive.whelan at btinternet.com
Wed Mar 17 07:45:55 PDT 2010

Let me 'fess up here, I'm far from a traditionalist, and a few years ago
thought that BERU ( sorry that just slipped out) was anachronistic.
However, I actually found myself quite enjoying it and although at first
this seemed akin to a veggie enjoying a rump steak, on reflection I
thought not. Those same few years ago I remember working a singleton VU
who declaimed the contest and declined to give me a number, which
further confirmed my lack of sanguinity about the future of the contest.
How things have changed in a few years, and now a clutch of VUs embrace
the contest, probably as a result of the innovation of a team aspect to
the event.

However I admit that I was bitterly disappointed to read how many G
contesters favoured retaining the 12 hour section, because ; they had
another life, it was Auntie's day, or the budgie's wooden leg was giving
him gyp . Playing devil's advocate to my own argument however I thought
that perhaps this was because they didn't really consider it as a
contest, and I had to admit that really neither did I. After all I have
no chance of winning because (i) the rules do not make that possible,
and (ii) I only use dummy loads for antennas, and there's no section for
that. I did do the whole 24 hour session, but on reflection I do wonder
why- perhaps I'm just weird?

Coming up-to-date, I submitted my entry to the robot this morning, and
found that I was number 156 on the board, which I think is remarkable
barely 72 hours after stop-tap. It was also noticeable what a noise we
made at he lower end of the band. Amongst the most successful sporting
events in the calendar is Wimbledon, largely because it is perceived as
the archetypal event which does not change . In reality it has changed
out of all recognition over the years but still embraces values and
traditions to which the public readily subscribes. It seems that the
Commonwealth Contest has experienced a resurgence in recent years, but
perhaps we can go further?

We all know how antipathetic the average G is to contests, the reasons
for which are beyond the scope of this discussion, but the fact of the
matter is clear. Why don't we think the unthinkable; why does it need to
be called a contest at all? Could we not make it a more inclusive event
whilst retaining rose bowls and things for those who consider them of
value . I don't know what it could be called, as I am insufficiently
creative but something like the Commonwealth QSO party might fill the
bill. After all, most if not all of the 48+ states of the USA have their
QSO parties, and they seem to be incredibly popular with a virtual
contest within for those who care.

Toujours ca change mais.........................  We could make a virtue
out of that!

73

Clive
GW3NJW