[UK-CONTEST] Commonwealth Contest 2010

Alan Ibbetson alan at g3xaq.net
Sun Mar 21 10:11:20 PDT 2010

The discussion about the 12 hour section in BERU still seems to be
rumbling on so, having returned from Ghana, I thought I'd stick my oar in.

Far from dropping the 12 hour section, I think there is a stronger
argument for dropping the 24 hour section and forcing entrants to
formulate a strategy for making the best use of 12 hour's operating out
of the 24. This replaces the test of the ability to stay awake with a
test of propagation and other operating knowledge. It also avoids those
long sessions of endless CQs and tuning the bands when there is nothing
much to work and the rate drops below the boredom threshold. The problem
is more acute for those of us south of the Mediterranean, but even in
the UK I doubt there is much to work during the small hours.

Just one man's opinion, of course. And not too serious a proposal.
Although I for one would be very unhappy to see the present 12 hour
section dropped.

Alan Ibbetson 9G5XA/G3XAQ
alan at g3xaq.net