[UK-CONTEST] Monobanders and height

Andy Cook, G4PIQ g4piq at btinternet.com
Mon May 3 01:56:07 PDT 2010

Callum,

I think you'll find some take-off angle data in the ARRL Antenna Handbook
(don't have a copy myself), but what you'll see from there is that it's all
statistical, so it's about the likelyhood of a particular angle on a
particular path at a particular time of year. I know from experience this
differs with time, and also with day (which is presumably linked to what
hop-mode-mix is dominant on a particular day on a particular path). To a
large extent, low angles are dominant at the start and end of openings.

On a practical note, I've have opertated a number of times with antennas at
55ft / 95ft mix both available. In general on shorter paths (Eu / East Coast
W) there's not so much to choose between them, but the difference is more
pronounced on the longer paths and early / late in openings and marginal
forward-scatter paths. It's not often that the lower antenna is better than
the higher one, but from time to time (I've seen it on Eu paths on 20m in
the summer, intense W openings on 15, and on a similar basis I have
occasionally seen a dipole @ 80ft better than the 4 square on 80m to the
East Coast of W during strong openings). If I could have only one antenna it
would clearly be the one at 100ft, but if I was doing a field-day contest
with the majority of traffic to Eu, I wouldn't worry too much if I only had
the 60ft one available.

73,

Andy, G4PIQ