[UK-CONTEST] Club Calls

Rob - G4LMW g4lmw at btconnect.com
Sun Nov 14 15:17:47 PST 2010

Peter

If the name of anyone's club is not listed in the robot drop-down, the
situation is no different to any other RSGB contest. You select "None of
these" and the robot will take it from your Cabrillo header. If it is not
there, you can enter it in the last stage of the robot submission.

The "preferred abbreviation" file is simply an alternative to submitting the
full length name of the club - since many loggers can only cope with 20
characters. The list was original derived from all the logged clubs from
previous contests. The list bears no relation to that on the drop-down list
on the log submission page. I see no reason why it should?

The drop-down contains a "sensible" full length name of each club. The Excel
file contains two columns - a fully expanded name ("and" instead of "&" for
example - the name that should be exchanged during the contest) and the
second is as descriptive a short name as possible of no more than 20
characters. Making the robot drop-down match either of these columns would
not make sense (the list is used for ALL contests, not just Club Calls). If
club names are not on the excel list then please edit your cabrillo BEFORE
submission to show the FULL club name.

A big deal seems to be being made of the excel list. It is there to help,
not hinder. Any log submitted with the full club name will be just as
welcome (in fact, preferred), but trying to score logs with an infinite
number of ways of abbreviating the same thing is extremely time consuming.

Anytown and District Amateur Radio Society (over 40 chars)  =
AADARS
Anytown ADARS
Anytown A.D.A.R.S.
Anytown and DARS
Anytown & D ARS
Anytown & Dist ARS
Anytown & Dist. ARS
Anytown & D AR Soc.
A & D ARS
A and D ARS
A & D AR Soc
etc
etc
(all in any attempt to get them to 20 chars or less)

The adjudication software compares the sent exchange and received exchange
electronically. Computers like things to be EXACTLY the same. As it is, the
software goes through a complex sequence of removing double spaces, full
stops, expanding "&" to "and", "RS" to "Radio Society" etc. in an attempt to
end up with the full club names again.

So, submit your log with "Anytown and District Amateur Radio Society" (all
cabrillos can be amended) and you will be fine. BUT if you need to
abbreviate it, please use the "preferred abbreviation"............unless you
want to get the results some time after Easter 2011?

Hopefully, this answers all the questions regarding the log submissions and
why things are as they are..........now send those (correct) logs in!

73, Rob
G4LMW
Adjudicator, Club Calls