[UK-CONTEST] CQWW CW QRP 7MHz

Steve Knowles g3ufy at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Nov 30 09:20:53 PST 2010

Gordon

The antenna sounds like a variety of what used to be called a 'half-bobtail'
(2 x 1/4wave verticals 1/2wave apart) except that in the classic
configuration they're connected together at their tops and one is fed at the
base against earth (OK with QRP but decidedly dicey with higher power!).  I
used one myself for many years and they are VERY good but they are
vulnerable in a noisy environment, which is why I moved to a loop.

Without knowing more details of Barry's antenna, particularly the ground
arrangements, and without details of the receiving antenna(s) and relative
paths length/directions, I would say it's impossible to make any meaningful
comparisons.  Also, the figure quoted is S/N rather than absolute strength.
W6EL estimates the principal wave angles at the relevant times for both
stations to ES as 13degrees, for G-DL as 21degrees and for GM-DL as
10degrees.  These are low for a horizontal dipole and the vertical could be
expected to do very much better than +4db, particularly if the receiving
antenna is also a vertical.

73

Steve
G3UFY