[UK-CONTEST] M6T CQWW CW Report

ANDY COOK g4piq at btinternet.com
Tue Nov 30 13:43:39 PST 2010

Contest         : CQ World Wide DX Contest
Callsign        : M6T
Mode            : CW
Category        : Multi Operator - Single Transmitter (MS)
Overlay         : ---
Band(s)         : All bands (AB)
Class           : High Power (HP)
Zone/State/...  : 14
Locator         : JO02RF
Operating time  : 48h00

BAND   QSO  CQ DXC DUP  POINTS   AVG
--------------------------------------
  160   347  18  84   1     597  1.72
   80  1472  31 127  15    2937  2.00
   40  1299  38 143   8    2805  2.16
   20  1292  38 135   9    2817  2.18
   15  1328  37 152  29    2995  2.26
   10   169  28 104   1     306  1.81
--------------------------------------
TOTAL  5907 190 745  63   12457  2.11
======================================
       TOTAL SCORE : 11 647 295

Ops : G0OPB, G3WGN, G4BUO, G4TSH, G4PIQ

After missing the SSB leg of CQWW due to family commitments, CQWW CW seemed like
a good opportunity to try and get the station active again. Unfortunately, there
was a lot of essential maintenance to do on the station, but the team seemed
keen to do something. We had a long list of items which required dealing with in
a priority order and just worked through as many of the as we could until we got
to the contest. Every tower / antenna on the site needed something doing to it –
ranging from a simple lifting rope replacement on the 15m tower to a full 6
man-day debug and repair of the 80m 4 square. We started work the previous
weekend (and many thanks to G0AEV and M0BCT who didn’t operate the contest for
helping on the previous weekend) and then continued on the Thursday / Friday
prior to the contest. The short days and snowfall somewhat slowed progress (we
have had snow all the time since Thursday morning), but the result of all this
hard work was that, by midnight, the station was more or less in the same state
as it was 2 years ago – an extra antenna available on 20m, but no K9AY for low
band Rx. Dave, G3WGN / WJ6O has recently returned from a few years living in
California – he must have loved 2 days of solid antenna work in the snow! We
didn’t get any of the projects which would improve our capabilities completed -
like a real antenna for 40m - but some of the maintenance jobs were very much
bigger than expected.

It was great to have some competition with the G6PZ folks who have made
tremendous improvements to their station since 2008. We thought about posting
our scores to getscores.org, but foolishly believed the instructions that said
the available code to do this didn’t work any more!

The contest went pretty seamlessly and other than a few dozes of RF in the keyer
/ switching due to a hastily lashed together and complex station, none of the
equipment missed a beat. We thought that conditions were somewhat better on the
high bands than in 2008, but we didn’t have the super low band conditions of
that year – we found 160 pretty average. There were some remarkable moments like
passing a ZS to 80m, having the mult station call him, getting no joy, but
having 5H3EE call us for a double mult while we were calling the ZS! We had
quite a lot of snow static on the Saturday, but the tri-bander was largely
unaffected – presumably because the elements are insulated. Many of the packet
pile ups were evil – lots of incessant calling when the caller really couldn’t
hear the station. The folks who went split made life much easier, but these
pile-ups are an element of packet assisted contesting that I really dislike. It
was always much nicer when we found a new spot for ourselves.

Thanks to everyone for the QSOs and to Bob, G4BAH for use of the station. See
you all in the next one.

Rig : 2 x FT1000MP + Alpha 87A

Ant :
160m – 33m tall T + Inv-V @ 28m + 580ft NW Beverage