[UK-CONTEST] Fwd: Re: [CDXC] 50110.0 ZB2/VA3ITA Calling CQ

Tom GM4FDM tom at gm4fdm.com
Tue Aug 9 03:05:15 PDT 2011

I raised this matter over 2 years ago with Colin G3PSM as I was refused
a licence to operate on the HF Bands.   I already had a ZB2 permit from
a previous operation and I was not allowed to renew it.   Apparently
some american guy had been there and caused problems with excessive
power.   I explained I had been there before, caused no problems, and
even visited and delivered a short presentation to the local club.

I suggested to the authorities that they were using a sledge hammer to
track a nut and that a local HF operator was just as likely to cause
interference as a visitor if their station was not set up properly and
that VHF operations were probably more likely to cause problems.  The
solution lay in enforcement and that they should have closed the
american guy down rather than blanket refuse a permit to outsiders
ESPECIALLY from the UK, on whose support they rely upon for Gibraltar to
exist as a separate entity.

I hit a brick wall and even got irate emails from two of the locals, for
daring to interfere.

Perhaps Colin would like to update us on this matter.

Tom
GM4FDM

--
I am fully aware that my youth has been spent
That my get up and go - has got up and went