[UK-CONTEST] Typing skills and contesting

Clive Whelan clive at gw3njw.net
Tue Aug 16 02:06:28 PDT 2011

Andy has articulated what I strongly believed to be the case. I suspect
that our keyboard skills are +/- the same. This then begs the questio as
to why it is significantly more difficult to transcribe CW onto the
keyboard than it is SSB.

Well, of course it isn't in the everday of contests, in fact I believe
that for YT who never uses SSB that it may be more efficient; certainly
I am quite unaware of any " translation " being necessary. Of course to
the contrary, QTCs come in a format, which is not that familiar, and of
coure WAE comes but once a year. I don't believe that there is a
fundamental problem here for the born again hunt and pecker, rather that
it is the same as getting to the Carnegie Hall, viz, practice, practice,
practice.

Chris/DL8MBS has drawn my attention to a prog. by Fabian/DJ1YFK ( who
enjoys the advantage of youth ) which can hone one's skills. I suppose
the question is, whether there is a cost/benefit dividend in doing this?
On paper, I'd say no, but since even in my dotage I do not want to
suffer from a skills deficit in any area of contesting, I may have to
consider my position!

On the issue of computer/paddle sending, I would opine: if you are
running a >200 p.h. rate, then trying to integrate the paddle is
counter-productive, and will lower the rate. However having a paddle at
the ready synced to the computer sending speed is a get out of gaol card
for correcting fouls up. Even at that rate it is nice to be able to say
on the fly " hi Fred " or whatever, and add some humanity to an
otherwise impersonal process. In fact I use the paddle for e.g. "agn" or
"nr?", because I just don't use F keys, rather ESM, which imo is another
significant rate booster.

73

Clive
GW3NJW