[UK-CONTEST] Lee's Posting

g3ory at lineone.net g3ory at lineone.net
Sun Dec 4 03:50:56 PST 2011

Lee's posting struck a chord with me. It was the bit when he wrote:

>But the bigger question is about communication.  Ian mentions below
about
>his "vote."  Changes to the CC and Sprint have been published
on the RSGBCC
>website, and then a discussion here follows
*afterwards*.  This seems to
>happen every year. The rule or calendar
changes are offered without
>explanation (so far), which gives rise to
a number of opposing viewpoints
>and potential explanations being
given. We presume that the appropriate care
>and consideration of
entrants of all different types across the UK has been
>given. Some
notes to accompany the changes explaining the changes,
>preferably
with some data to back it up rather than relying on general

>impressions would help.  Or if these notes are forthcoming, their
timing
>could be much better!  There are examples where despite
committee
>deliberation, public comment has caused amended rules to be
changed again -
>so perhaps more consultation or publication of a
draft programme would be
>worthwhile in future?

One possible way of
having the discussion prior to finalising the changes, would be for the
RSGB CC to publish a 'Green Paper' (check out Wikipedia if you are
unfamiliar with Government Green Papers http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_paper#Government_white_papers

This would outline the broad thrust of the CC thinking and invite
feedback from the contesting community prior to the whole thing being
set in stone.  In that way, as Lee said:

>Entrants need to feel that
they're listened to, that their "vote" has
>counted, and feel that
they understand why changes were made. Even if some
>changes may not
personally be to their liking, if they've been given the
>facts and
the knowledge that their viewpoint has been listened to (or was
>even
asked for), more (but not all) may then agree with it.

A broader
feedback would be achieved and hopefully lead to less 'post-decision
flack' for the Contest Committee.  I chair a different RSGB Committee
and I get to meet all the regular participants face to face each month.
This enables me to keep track of the way folk are thinking and the
general feelings about the way forward. The Contest Committee (apart
from a one hour session at the Convention) generally do not have this
opportunity and I believe it would be advantageous for them to develop
some procedure which would act as a better substitute than the present
arrangements.

Bob G3ORY

g0mtn1 at gmail.com
>Date: 03/12/2011 16:52
>To: <uk-contest at contesting.
com>
>Subj: [UK-CONTEST] Sprints (and 80mCC)
>

>Agreed. With mixed
mode, the possibility to make more QSOs in a single event
>would be
increased, but the spread of contesters calling / searching on the

>particular mode that you are on yourself would be reduced.  When
calling CQ,
>perhaps two thirds of your audience would be listening on
a different mode
>compared with the present rules. I think this would
flatten the QSO rate
>over the whole of the event, rather than having
a sprint trickling down to a
>stroll. The final QSO tally could be
higher, but certainly not double or
>triple, as 2x or 3x mixed mode
operating is not preferred for many people
>(considering results from
RSGB and other international events.)   Some
>people don't like the
sprints because they see them as being too complex
>already - so many
of the changes suggested wouldn't help.  Computer logging
>also
becomes too complex for some people when 2 (or especially 3) modes are

>run concurrently.  These ideas have the potential to give experienced
mixed
>mode entrants an extra buzz and some more QSOs, but adds the
risk of putting
>even more people off.
>
>But the bigger question is
about communication.  Ian mentions below about
>his "vote."  Changes
to the CC and Sprint have been published on the RSGBCC
>website, and
then a discussion here follows *afterwards*.  This seems to
>happen
every year. The rule or calendar changes are offered without

>explanation (so far), which gives rise to a number of opposing
viewpoints
>and potential explanations being given. We presume that
the appropriate care
>and consideration of entrants of all different
types across the UK has been
>given. Some notes to accompany the
changes explaining the changes,
>preferably with some data to back it
up rather than relying on general
>impressions would help.  Or if
these notes are forthcoming, their timing
>could be much better!
There are examples where despite committee
>deliberation, public
comment has caused amended rules to be changed again -
>so perhaps
more consultation or publication of a draft programme would be

>worthwhile in future?
>
>I would guess that:
>
>1) The increase in
80mCC support from GM from the re-instatement of the
>January sessions
(intended to flatten the playing field to make up for the
>mid-summer
propagation which doesn't favour GM) was not large. As there had
>been
a number of complaints about the volume of RSGB events in January, on

>balance it was decided to withdraw the January sessions again.
>
>2)
The Sprint series has not been such a success compared with the 80mCC.
It
>was decided to reduce the number of sessions to maintain a better
balance in
>the overall calendar, i.e. not have so many events that
are not overly
>popular, and potentially to focus more activity on the
fewer remaining
>sessions.
>
>But who knows exactly how many entrants
would prefer a January 80mCC or not.
>I don't think anyone truly
knows.  Have the expected changes to January
>propagation as mentioned
here have been considered? And as for the Sprints,
>I'm literally just
guessing.  How did we manage to change the flawed revised
>160m rules,
but as yet not the Sprint format, or find a better way to
>include PSK
in the 80mCCs?  There have surely been enough comments. Was a

>critical mass of common sense not reached?
>
>Whilst the RSGB itself
is it pains to improve communication, and use all
>manner of existing
and emerging web technologies to facilitate this and
>better
understand and give service to their customer, I have yet to see the

>same intent emerge from the contest committee.  Whilst emails to the

>committee can be sent at any time, it's rare that any feedback is seen
>have made a difference. More contest sponsors now run periodic
online
>surveys so that they *know* what a *substantial* proportion of
their
>entrants want or enjoy, and are in a better position to make
changes.  From
>what I see the committee's changes are based on
limited data - but it
>doesn't have to be this way.  The contest forum
at the RSGB Convention is
>usually a very busy affair - but from the
entrants perspective the whole
>year shouldn't revolve around just 30
minutes or so of face to face debate
>with a minority of entrants. The
interest in the forum shows how the other
>communication methods just
don't seem to work. Maybe the calendar changes
>were explained away at
the contest forum - I was presenting elsewhere so I
>missed it.  So a
summary of what went on for the general public would be
>useful.
>

>Entrants need to feel that they're listened to, that their "vote" has

>counted, and feel that they understand why changes were made. Even if
some
>changes may not personally be to their liking, if they've been
given the
>facts and the knowledge that their viewpoint has been
listened to (or was
>even asked for), more (but not all) may then
agree with it.

>73,
>
>Lee G0MTN (now back to house painting)

com>
2011 3:25 PM
>Subject: Re: [UK-CONTEST] Sprints
>

>> I dont think
that making the event more "complex" will acheive greater

paticipation. For some reason some folk find the Sprint format not to

>> their taste, even so
>> from the last couple of contests, I get the
impression that support is
>> gradually increasing. If the aim is to
make the event more of a "sprint"
>> rather than a qso party we either
need more stations or a shorter contest.
>> I think I've banged on
about this in every "soapbox" but my vote (...if
>> there was one!)
would be for staying with the same format but shortening
>> the
contest to 60minutes.