[UK-CONTEST] 144 AFS G4ZTR Report

Tony Collett tony.nbs at btinternet.com
Mon Dec 5 09:12:47 PST 2011

Strange how the same contest can appear different to stations in a similar area.

I was operating from G4VHF just W of Cambridge approx 200yds across the border into IO92. Gear was IC7400 + 4CX350 to a 17ele so hopes were high for a good contest.

Soon shattered that illusion with a very poor QSO rate at the start. Hourly rates were just 20, 12, 32, 18, 9, 8, 11 and 13 in the last hour. At the half way stage we were on identical QSO numbers with M0VFC. It was only in the last 2 hours that we pulled ahead so we are grateful for the full length of the contest!

Perhaps we shouldn't complain about the length of the contest but bemoan the lack of activity (esp compared with UKAC's)? For us a break around lunch time would have been ideal....

Never heard any F activity but found 3 PA, 2 DL, 1 ON, 3 GM, 3 GW plus GJ + GD, otherwise 109 G stations (but only 15 with IO83).
IO70 and IO93 (3 QSO's) finally appeared in the last hour.
Ended up with 19 Locators worked and best Dx of 587Km but extremely poor average of just 138kms/QSO.

We had to contend with a high local electrical noise level that got worse as the afternoon progressed - hope we didn't miss too many stations calling us through it.

Totally agree with your comments John re somewhere to find all contests - would also be nice to find some of the results a bit easier as well. (and sorry for hitting the wrong button earlier....)

73 all, and thanks for the fun
Tony G4NBS