[UK-CONTEST] ARRL 10m G0HVQ

Darren G0TSM daz at g0tsm.com
Sun Dec 11 15:07:34 PST 2011

Well done Darrell and thanks for the QSO!

Here's my part time effort.

Band  Mode  QSOs   DX  States etc
     28  CW     275       37    30
     28  USB    620       65   47
  Total  Both   895      102   77
Score: 427,278
Single Op, High Power, Mixed Mode

FTDX5000MP + VL1000 + 5 ele Yagi @45ft and 4 ele Yagi @25ft.

I tried something different this time as I'm trying to develop the
station. Ideally I would like to Tx into both antennas and receive
separately into the 5K's separate receivers, but that project is
ongoing. This time I fudged some switching/matching which allowed 100W
to be sent to the 4 ele Yagi and the rest to the 5 ele. This worked
really well. This morning I had the 5 ele to the NE and the 4 ele to the
SW. SV's, TA's V5 CT3 etc were S9 and switching off the 'sub antenna'
dropped them dramatically. More beneficial was this afternoon, with the
5 ele to W/VE and the 'sub antenna' to AF or SA with mults calling in.
The noise floor raises a little but signals on the 5ele barely drop.I
did lots of checks on the 5ele, 4ele or both and the difference now is
around 2 s units in all directions between the antennas. Not much gain
really for an antenna twice the size and twice as high, and isn't really
noticeable on 90% of the callers. Where you hear the advantage is on the
really weak stations on scatter.

I did a lot of S&Ping and a fair bit of CQing. I found S&P wasnt very
productive for me this time. Prop wise I could hear my own longpath
'dits' for around three hours today with the peak QTFs being 290/110deg.
But I didnt hear a single JA or ZL. I worked a couple of PYs and 3 LUs
this morning all true longpath. I could detect their direct path
'pre-echo' very weakly with the delayed LP signal from the NE very loud.
I had to QRT at 1620z today but came back at 1815z and the band was
still busy. I grabbed a cuppa sat down at 1824z and the only station
left was a W5 in TX. In 4 minutes the band had gone out..

73 Darren G0TSM