[UK-CONTEST] Normalising scores in the tuesday night UK Activity contests

Malcolm Bryan malcolm.bryan at googlemail.com
Fri Dec 30 01:57:25 PST 2011

Hi Chris
I agree the rules can seem a little strange at times but however you do the
normalisation it will break down for someone somewhere. There are also
plenty of other factors that determine scoring, such as how the
adjudication is done.

I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong but I believe the
adjudication is based on the assumption that the tx station always logs
what he sends. Unfortunately this isnt always the case and I have lost some
mults as a result of this, however, the station making the error will be
unaware as he doesnt lose points. An example

Other station sends me 55 023 io91xx. I log this but he logs 59 023 io91xx.
I send him 57 012 jo01bk and log it correctly, he receives it correctly.
When the adjudication program is run I lose the points but he gets them as
I have been deemed to incorrectly copy his exchange. This is not uncommon
with some logging programs defaulting to 59.

I suspect I have done similar to people when operating portable. If you
work a station but forget the /p, he correctly copies what I sent ie F1VNR
but I logged F1VNR/P so I get the points but he doesnt and I never know I
did it. It is particularly as issue for F1VNR as my portable and home
locators are the same!!!

I feel it would be more appropriate for both stations to lose the points
rather than just one of them. It is then incumbent on both stations to
assure the exchange is correct and if it isnt both stations know why as it
is detailed in the UBN. Perhaps the committee could consider it or is there
a knock on effect somewhere?

I add my thanks to the contest committe for doing a great job that gets a
lot of flak from this reflector.

Happy new year to everyone.

Malcolm Bryan
G8MCA / F1VNR