[UK-CONTEST] The UK Activity Contests

Christopher Plummer plummerc42 at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 31 04:45:52 PST 2011

Reg,

Being in one of the IO83 locators, can I say that the activity up here is amazing, although intra IO83 contacts garner few points per km, the activity is welcome on otherwise dead bands.  The guys down in JO01 get the advantage of good km/contact from the continent that we rarely hear.  So what we gain by the M5 rule is to some extend balanced by the east coast sea path points.

The rules may not be level for everyone, I only get 300 km points for working GI4SNA, whereas David gets approx 300 km points for working each and every IO83 station.  So Dave can beat me hands down with only 30% of the contacts I make.  Dave also has the advantage that he can leave his beam in the same general direction all night.  To some extent the same applies to Andy GM4JR, beam wise that is, but both of them need substantial power to get us sasenachs to point their way.

Overall, let us run with these rules for a few years to see what then needs to be tweeked, that way the vagaries of good/poor conditions will even out.  Just imagine what rule changes would be made if we could work loads of Continental stations from IO83 every Tueday night?

HNY de Chris G8APB