[UK-CONTEST] 2012 UKAC = Rule Changes

Ray James gm4cxm at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Dec 31 15:37:20 PST 2011

Hi Pete,

I can see where you're coming from but do you not think it could be simplified to what I wrote?

"Open" is very straightforward, over 100w up to 400w and no antenna restrictions.
"Restricted" and "Low Power"  no more than 100w/no more than 10w and "Only one horizontal or vertically polarised fixed or rotatable antenna may be used at any one time".

Whilst I can appreciate the need to define a station with restricted or low power capabilities, I'm not 100% sure why the need would exist to imply any "fixed directional" antenna comes into the equation. KISS.

Such an arrangement may will exist but be rare enough not to be of concern to placing in black and white in respect to contest operation/rules but be a matter of someones personal station limitations.
The majority of "typical stations" will either have a rotary stacked/bayed horizontal antenna or single antenna plus a vertical for working their pals on FM.
It would be far easier to let "power" dictate what AL/AR section the single antenna station is in and permit them to choose which single antenna (H or V) to use at any given time without putting them in the open section.

I have no qualms either way on this particular rule. I'm just suggesting what makes sense to me and simple for you and competitors.

Though not used to my knowledge in Scotland, I am aware that some English based UKAC activity on 4m, 2m and 23cm does take place on FM when vertical polarisation will be the norm.
As UKAC interest continues to increase then FM activity may well be another resource competitors do not ignore in order to pick up some extra points or multipliers.
This would be another good reason to consider dropping the "switching between two antenna" rule for AR/AL and just concentrate on what power they're running.

73 Ray GM4CXM