[UK-CONTEST] [3830] ARRLDX CW G6PZ(GI0RTN) SOAB HP

Rob Hall m0rby at waylock.co.uk
Mon Feb 21 17:26:42 PST 2011

I had long been a sceptic of contest radio but I took the plunge last year
and got involved in SSB Field Day in September with my club (Ripon and
District ARS). The whole event was a major eye opener from the logistics,
the technical challenges and the sheer amount of mental preparation that
needed to be put into something I had previously denigrated as being a
pointless activity.

As a small club we had the opportunity to come together and take part. Some
club members are hardened operators, some are technobods, some are
insomniacs but we operated as a team! I suppose that I am lucky enough to
live in the middle of nowhere which actually poses a different set of
challenges to operating in a dense urban area but the main point is taking
part.

Contesting is fun - coming from a previously hardened contestsceptic that is
praise indeed! The whole buzz was amazing. We didn't care less if we got
placed or not. The fact that we'd had a great weekend with a BBQ, Ibuprofen,
RF and good coffee was all that mattered. Good, honest fun.

We were chuffed to bits that we got published in the mainstream AR press
(Radcom and PW) but that wasn't the goal. We are now looking to this year
and how we as a club can do better. Surely this is fulfilling the spirit of
amateur radio where we self learn. If we end up having a top notch SSB Field
Day station as a result of iterative modification, isn't this just the
essence of the hobby? Some people will take that to the epitome of being the
top contest stations for a little while in time; meanwhile others will be
chasing them and learning and being inspired from their achievements.

We too fought hard and long for every QSO and we got great collective
satisfaction from it. Stuff the big stations! Just get stuck in there with
the melle Gordon, enjoy what you do and sup a pint at the end of the event
knowing that you've not hurt anyone that weekend, done something productive
and touched the world by just taking part. When you are musing over the head
on a pint of Wadsworth 6X and someone asks you, "What have you done this
weekend?" you can answer, genuinely, "I have spoken to the world."

73, Rob M0RBY