[UK-CONTEST] AFS CW

David G3YYD g3yyd at btinternet.com
Tue Jan 11 09:25:34 PST 2011

David

I had a look at the reverse beacon network after the contest and most
stations were around the mid-20s a few were in the low thirties and very
few were below 20 WPM. So if you managed to copy some calls you were
doing well.

My keyer was mainly around  26 give or take a few. Once I went down to
20 or 19 for some one who called me at that speed and 32 for some guys I
knew could copy well above that.

As for the QRS corral, I never went that high in S&P as previous contest
experience tells me no one is ever operating in that area. Also previous
experience tells me that station density is highest in the middle and
bottom of the contest segment. Maximum QSO rate is to be had in those
areas and so when S&P or running I would generally be in those areas of
the segment.

As assistance is allowed in AFS then might as well use the K3 readout to
assist you in getting some QSOs. However with CW practice is the key. A
PC/Lap top with software can be used. I use morse runner for 20 mins
twice a day for a few days before a CW contest to get my ear/brain
trained up.

73 David G3YYD