[UK-CONTEST] Reserving a Channel

g3ory at lineone.net g3ory at lineone.net
Mon Jan 24 01:41:25 PST 2011

Hi Ray,

I think it is easy to overlook one of the advantages of the status
quo. With no rule preventing a competitor from 'warming up' a frequecy,
it does allow the band to be populated in a very orderly manner prior
to the start of the contest. At the start of the contest the 'runners'
are all lined up ready to be worked and the S&P guys can just tune from
one to the next picking them off as fast as they can.  The band is
likely to be occupied in an efficient way with stations on adjacent
channels and very little overlap (with resultant QRM).

Imagine a rule where operating prior to the start is banned (or as also
proposed recently, there is a mandatory QSY at the start). At the
start, frequency 'fights' would break out all over the band and just
get in the way of the weaker stations making lots of QSOs.

I am not convinced that the grass the other side is the least bit
greener on this one.

73 Bob

G3ORY

level

>the playing field would be not to allow stations to come on sooner
than,

>say, 5 minutes before start time.  With SDR monitoring now in place
it

>should be possible to pick out at least the worst offenders  Certainly
the

>SP series is much nicer to work because it solves that problem.  Tin
hat on